World-class Golf Course and Practice Facility in the African bush!
Zebula Golf Course is a classic Bushveld par 72 course, set in the open plains of the reserve with herds of game roaming freely. The course is relatively flat yet undulating, inviting to play with generous fairways and clusters of trees that act as hazards. Voted the Golf Digest’s Best New Golf Course 2004 and awarded the 5 star Golf Experience for 2010 by Compleat Golfer, Zebula has matured wonderfully over the past few years into a truly great course to play.
Zebula was designed by the legendary Peter Matkovich, a golf professional for 25 years, and a world-respected golf course designer for more than 15 years. When it comes to golf course design, first and foremost Peter is an environmentalist – seamlessly blending nature and design to create golf courses that are inherently sensitive to local environments. In fact, love for the indigenous remains a cornerstone of his designs; to him, golf should offer a retreat, an escape, from one’s busy life.
The layout, built to USGA specifications with kikuyu fairways and bent grass greens is so much part of the bushveld experience that one wouldn’t be surprised to encounter a lofty giraffe or a shy zebra or two during your golfing experience. The wonderful year-round climate and the judicious use of naturally occurring water practically guarantees the course will be green year round.
Golf Design, the Peter Matkovich way.
Complemented as it is by an excellent Clubhouse with a location that defies description, a well-stocked Pro Shop and superb practice facilities, Zebula is a joy to play. You are destined to keep coming back again and again to experience it. As we like to say: if you have Africa in your blood and you love the game of golf, life just doesn’t get better than this!
"Golf course design is an area where we have immense responsibility. Besides trying to create the most enjoyable and memorable courses for golfers to play on, we need to ensure that we do it in such a way that those who come after us, can do so with the same wonder and awe at all of nature's beauty.Golf courses can and should have a positive impact on their surrounds, which is essential for the game to grow.”Zebula Golf Estate is totally in harmony with Peter’s philosophy, which is to work with nature:
- To rethink and re-educate golfers as to what is acceptable water consumption, water recycling and irrigation practices.
- To redefine "green” golf courses, or face the consequences in a time where water is a more precious resource every day.
- To provide an opportunity for many to get outside, and be exposed and educated about their environment.
- To create natural habitat and encourage natural fauna and flora to grow and flourish on golf courses.
- To use as many local grass and plant species on courses to minimize maintenance and water usage
- To take advantage of research and development in fertilizers, chemicals and maintenance practices, and use environmentally safe products and practices.